Welcome to our new website! Please give us feedback.

Land use permits

Encroachment permits

The County of Marin Department of Public Works – Land Development Division issues encroachment permits in unincorporated areas of Marin according to Marin County Code §13.12 and the State of California’s Streets & Highways Code (SHC). The SHC confers authority for County roads to the County of Marin Department of Public Works and specifically the Road Commissioner (See SHC §2006.1). The term encroachment is defined as any tower, pole, pole line, pipe, pipe line, fence, billboard, stand or building, or any structure, object of any kind, or special event, which is in, under, or over any portion of the highway (See SHC §660).

An encroachment permit allows you to make certain uses of and construct certain improvements within a County-maintained public right-of-way, both above and underground. Examples include installation or repairs to underground utilities, trenching in the right -of-way, building or repairing driveway approaches/sidewalks, filming of commercials and motion pictures, or work requiring traffic control on the street.

There are different types of encroachment permits and the fees and required supporting documentation vary by type of permit. Please refer to the information included below to ensure your application is processed as efficiently as possible.

Close window