Fairfax-Bolinas Road in West Marin at milepost 5.73 (approximately 2 miles west of Azalea Hill) is single-lane access with two-way traffic controlled through one lane. This condition is at the construction zone only and will remain in place until project is completed. See project webpage for more details. Thank you for your patience while this project progresses.

Guardrail Replacement Project and Panoramic Highway MP 2.26 Slide Repair



The project has 2 components: 1) replacement of specific guardrails across the county that have been identified as no longer meeting current design standards, and 2) retaining wall construction on Panoramic Highway at milepost 2.26. Approximately 4,825 total feet of guardrails are being removed and replaced, and two retaining walls totaling about 300 linear feet will be implemented. A portion of the retaining wall will address a slide that occurred during a storm in October 2021 and the rest is to support the roadway shoulder and meet design standards for the new guardrail at the location.


The approximately $2,554,000 million project is being 91% funded by state/federal grants and the remaining 9% share cost is being funded by the County’s Road & Bridge Fund. Every year, Caltrans provides state funds to local agencies for safety improvement projects such as this one. This project is funded in part as a Cycle 9 Highway Safety Improvement Project (HSIP).

Traffic Impacts

During February and March (perhaps longer depending on weather impacts to the work schedule), Panoramic Highway at milepost 2.26 will temporarily be reduced to a single lane of travel to accommodate construction of the retaining wall. The alternating direction of travel will be controlled by a temporary traffic signal. Delays of 5 to 10 minutes can be expected for drivers and bike riders.


October 2021

  • Storm caused a slide on Panoramic Highway milepost 2.26

September 2023

  • Contract awarded for project

October 2023

  • Work begins on project

November 2023

  • Construction begins

Spring 2024

  • Single lane with alternating direction traffic control through construction zone at milepost 2.26, controlled by temporary traffic signal.

May 2024

  • Project anticipated to be completed
Close window