FAQ Topic: Permits

How do I request a road closure?

To request a road closure, please submit an Unified Application for Encroachment Permit with the following : A written description Select ‘yes’ for Road Closure Select Surface Type: Asphalt/concrete/other Attachments – please attach a site map, drawing or sketch Visit our Land use permits page to learn more.

How do I get an Encroachment Permit?

The County website outlines steps to follow and provides links to helpful resources. Applicants should submit an Unified Application for Encroachment Permit  following  these steps: Confirm that the planned work or event is in an area of unincorporated Marin and involves a County-maintained road and right-of-way by querying Marin Maps at marinmap.org. Prepare a site … Continued

When is an Encroachment Permit required?

An Encroachment Permit is required for any work conducted within a County-maintained public right-of-way.  Often, the County-maintained public right-of-way extends beyond the paved street and may extend beyond the sidewalk. An Encroachment Permit allows you to make certain uses and construct certain improvements within a County-maintained public right-of-way, both above and underground.  Examples include, but … Continued

Do I need a permit to trim my tree?

If you live on a County maintained road and traffic will be impacted by the tree trimming, then yes, an encroachment permit will be needed. Learn more by visiting our Land use permits page.

Close window