For Immediate Release –
San Rafael, CA –
Selection of residential roads to receive improvements including accessibility
Starting the first week of November, the Marin County Department of Public Works (DPW) will begin repaving and making improvements to a selection of County-maintained roads in the Santa Venetia and California Park neighborhoods of unincorporated Marin County. Work will continue until winter weather prohibits the paving process. The project will then resume in the spring and is expected to be completed by summer 2023.
The $2.56 million project, covered by Transportation Authority of Marin Measure AA and Measure B funds, will address approximately three miles using various resurfacing treatment types depending on the section of pavement’s needs. Over the course of the multi-month project, seven accessible curb ramps will be installed at intersections. Additionally, minor storm drainage improvements will be made.
Construction will take place from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays. The following list identifies the roadway sections being addressed, which will be conducted in select groupings. Except for Oxford Drive, Meriam Drive, and Woodland Avenue, all listed roads will require workday road closures during the paving operations. The roads will be fully open outside of work hours. The project team will inform nearby residents seven days in advance of any significant inconvenience on their road.
For Oxford Drive, Meriam Drive, and Woodland Avenue, there will be traffic control measures in place during paving operations which may cause up to 10-minute delays. Additionally, there may be intermittent five-minute delays on North San Pedro Road, but that work will only take a couple of hours when the cross-street paving is extended to the edge of North San Pedro Road.
Here are the roads affected:
Santa Venetia neighborhood:
- Adrian Terrace – from North San Pedro Road to end
- North San Pedro Court – from Oxford Drive to end
- Oxford Drive – from North San Pedro Road to North San Pedro Court
- Meadow Drive – from North San Pedro Road to end
- Schmidt Lane – from North San Pedro Road to end
- Chalda Court – from Schmidt Lane to end
- Steven Way – from Schmidt Lane to end
- Meriam Drive – from North San Pedro Road to Mark Twain Avenue
- Woodoaks Drive – from North San Pedro Road to end
- Madison Avenue – from Jefferson Avenue to end
- Washington Avenue – from North San Pedro Road to Madison Avenue
- Jefferson Avenue – from North San Pedro Road to Madison Avenue
California Park neighborhood:
- Woodland Avenue – from Auburn Street to San Rafael city limits
- Auburn Street – from Woodland Avenue to Woodland Avenue
More specific timing for the work will be announced once the construction contractor has established its work schedule. Residents will be notified ahead of work that requires their roadway to be closed so they have adequate time to prepare.
The selection of roads was based on the pavement condition, cost effectiveness of treatment options, economy of scale, proximity to schools, and readiness of underground utility pipes as per review by the various utility companies.
Improving roadway conditions across unincorporated areas of Marin has been an ongoing commitment of the County for years and is one of the top priorities for the Board of Supervisors. Each year, DPW aims to improve a balance of local, arterial and collector roads, approaching the selection strategically with a long-term goal of overall network improvement.
Public Information Officer
3501 Civic Center Drive.
San Rafael, CA 94903