Motor Vehicle > 36′ and/or Tour Bus Regulations
- Acceptance of this permit: Applicant shall indemnify, defend and hold the Local Agency, its officers, agents and employees harmless from any and all claims, suits or liability, including, but not limited to, litigation costs and attorney’s fees which the Local Agency may incur as the result of any and all claims and suits for personal injury, property damage or inverse condemnation by reason of applicants placement of/or maintenance of encroachments authorized by this permit. No work shall commence until permit is issued
- Comply with applicable laws: This permit is issued pursuant of Section 35780 of the Vehicle Code. Except as specifically provided herein, the requirements and other applicable laws must be complied with in all particulars.
- Safety to other traffic: Permittee shall at all times give strict attention to the safety and rights of the traveling public.
- Night moving: No night moving allowed unless specifically so stated on the face hereof. If any moving is permitted at night, necessary warning lights must be displayed and flagmen employed in such manner as to thoroughly protect traffic in either direction.
- Moving in foggy, rainy, or windy weather: No moving shall be done in foggy, rainy, or windy weather when visibility is restricted to less than 1,000 feet except on special authorization. Movement is prohibited when road surfaces are hazardous due to ice, snow or frost or when use of tire chains is mandatory. No moving shall be done when the velocity of the wind is such that it causes the vehicle being towed to whip or swerve from side to side or fail to follow substantially in the path of the towing vehicle. Any accident caused by excessive wind conditions shall be considered a prima facie violation of this restriction.
- Parking on highway: If necessary to park equipment or load on the highway at night, it shall be moved off the traveled way or pavement so as not to interfere with passing traffic in any way. Warning lights shall be displayed so as to fully protect said traffic.
- In an emergency, the provisions relating to night moves; moving in foggy, rainy or windy weather; and no moving during heavy traffic, may be waived provided a pilot car or cars as described below are used. The Permittee shall notify the County Department of Public Works of the emergency move on the first normal working day following the emergency move. Economic factors in either the saving of time or expense in moving over the highway may not be considered as an emergency.
- Permit subject to inspection: The permit must be carried on the equipment or load at all times while it is being moved within the highway limits. It shall be submitted for inspection on demand of an authorized employee of the Department of Public Works or of any law enforcement officer.
- Repair of damage: In accepting this permit, the Permittee agrees to repair, at his own expense and to the satisfaction of the County Engineer, any damage to the highway or structures. Work of repair may be done by County forces at the option of the County Engineer. The cost is to be borne by the Permittee. In the event of damage to County highway facilities such as bridges, traffic signals, light standards and so forth, a written report must be filed with the Department of Public Works within 72 hours after such damage has been done. Failure to make this report will be considered cause for cancellation of all permit privileges pending a satisfactory arrangement with the Department of Public Works for repair or replacement of the damaged facility.
- Liability for damages: The Permittee is responsible for all liability for injury to or death of any person or damage to property, which may occur through any act or omission of either the Permittee or the County of Marin. In the event any claim, suit, or action is brought against the County of Marin, its officer, or employee thereof, by reason of, or in connection with any such act or omission, Permittee shall defend, indemnify, and hold harmless the County, its officers and employees from such claim, suit, or action.
- Limit of authorization: This permit only covers a portion of the move on County highways under maintenance by the County of Marin. State and/or City permits must otherwise be secured for travel on roads and streets under respective jurisdiction.